That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him (Ephesians 1:17 NKJV).
When you really know and love God, everything else pales in significance. Your love relationship with Him becomes your driving passion and pleasing Him becomes your greatest desire.
The apostle Paul said, “Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord…” (Philippians 3:8 NKJV). When Paul refers to the knowledge of Christ Jesus, he is not talking about head knowledge. Rather, he is talking about heart knowledge. Having only head knowledge of Jesus makes the life of faith hard and dry; heart knowledge reaches every part of your being and makes living by faith joyful and exciting.
Without knowing God and his character, the Christian walk would be difficult. God wants to be everything to you. He wants to meet your every need. He wants you to know Him:
- He isn’t hard and aloof; He is your loving heavenly Father.
- He isn’t devising trials and tests for you; He is your Comforter.
- He isn’t out to hurt you; He is the lover of your soul.
- He isn’t concerned about your performance; He looks at your heart.
- He doesn’t give you what your sin deserves: He’s the God of abundant grace.
- He doesn’t want you to be just a servant; He longs for you to be His friend and child.
Most of all, God wants you to know that He is good, and His mercy endures forever.
Confession: Father, I ask You to give me today the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of You. I believe You are opening my eyes to see more of Your goodness and Your heart of love toward me.
Author: Jerry Savelle